The big question for many prescription eye wearers heading to the snow is “Are there goggles that i can wear over my glasses?”
The answer is YES! Most companies now make ski and snow goggles that you can buy to wear over your glasses. These are called OTG (over the glasses) goggles. We all know that goggles are one of the most important pieces of equipment you will purchase. If you wear prescription glasses you know far too well that cold air is dry and when you are up at the snow your contact lenses can feel like sandpaper rubbing into your eyes and making them sore and dry. This is why OTG’s are your saving grace. OTG goggles are specially designed to fit over most prescription eye wear. The foam configuration creates a precise seal and a true anatomical fit. OTG goggles are deeper than regular goggles and have channels to allow for the arms of your eye wear.
Some useful tips to remember to get the most out of your OTG goggles:
1) Make sure that your helmet and OTG goggles are the perfect match.
2) If can, don’t wear metal framed glasses under your ski OTG goggles as the metal frames conduct the cold and are quicker to fog (especially as your body heat builds). Ideally wear plastic framed prescription eye wear and use and anti fog solution on them.
3) OTG goggles are available in children’s styles for kids that wear prescription eye wear too.
Other notes for those who are visiting the snow and wear prescription eye wear:
1) You can get prescription goggles made up directly from some companies. These are incredibly expensive however if you have a very thick wallet, it may be something worth considering.
2) Over the glass goggles also come in a range of foam, strap, and lens options. Wearing a single lens OTG goggle is a waste of your money.
3) The better quality the goggle and lens, the better your vision, so it is recommended that you buy the best goggle that you can afford. Goggles with spherical lenses will give you optimum vision with minimal distortion.
Also worth considering when looking at buying OTG goggles is the lens colour. As with buying any ski or snow goggles, the lens VLT (Visual Light Transmission) will enhance your vision is varying light conditions at the snow.
For More Friendly Advice on ski goggle and snow goggles Click Here
Share this post